Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mommy Cooking Fail

Punky is 9 months old!

He had his 9 month wellness check last Friday and he's 20.11 lbs and 27 inches long. He's in the 50th percentile for weight, which surprised the doctor. She was sure it would've been more because he looks so fat. He was only in the 5th percentile for height. I guess it's to be expected since I'm only 5'1 and Austin is 5'4. The doctor said it's fine now, but if that percentile drops any we'll need to be concerned. I'm thinking he's just inherited the shortness from both sides. Lucky kid.

They checked his iron stores and they were right on target. I was really looking forward to seeing how his iron levels are because I hear so much about how when you're breastfeeding you need to supplement with iron. My lactation consultant told me this isn't really the case, and breastfed babies are fine without iron up to a year and at that point they should be getting regular meals which should mean their iron stores are fine if they're getting a balanced diet. Guess she was right!

He has 6 teeth now, with which he likes to bite everything he possibly can. He went through a period of about a week where he was constantly biting me when I was nursing him. It got to the point to where I was scared to even nurse him because I didn't want to get bit. It hurts! Luckily that phase passed and he's back to nursing happily and distractedly (seriously...any little noise distracts this kid). I love nursing, but I'm looking forward to when I don't have to pump at work anymore. It's become a chore and it stresses me out trying to make sure I have enough for bottles for the next day. My entire freezer stash is completely gone.

In baby food news, Punkin hates my cooking. He'll still eat the purees I made, but if I try to get any kind of creative he's done. I made this meal of chicken with peas and carrots and little stars pasta with some cheese. It was good...for real, I tasted it. He wanted nothing to do with it. It kind of hurt my feelings a little just because I was so excited to give it to him. I guess it was a texture thing. I gave him a jar of Earth's Best Organic Stage 3 baby food to see how he would handle the chunkiness and he ate it up no problems. So yeah...it's just me. He's still getting home made organic baby food, but for dinner I'll give him some of the Earth's Best with some kind of meat just so he's getting more iron in his diet.

I've also started giving him more finger foods. For breakfast the other day I gave him some scrambled egg yolk and blueberries with a piece of toast. He loves feeding himself! He really loved the toast. He had to make sure he ate every little piece of it before he ate the rest of his eggs and blueberries.


Punky enjoying his breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment