Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful

I think sometimes it's really easy to forget how good we have it. Life can really drag us down. A lot. It's hard to put things into perspective when we're so busy focusing on one little miserable aspect of our lives. Don't get me wrong, I've succumbed to misery on more than one occasion. I've even welcomed it with open arms just to be able to feel a real emotion. But being older and wiser (I hope), things really change the way you have to look at things.

I'm thankful for security. That we have a roof over our heads and food in our fridge. I'm glad for the a/c and the refrigerator humming in the background. I'm thankful that Austin can bore me to tears playing xbox. I'm thankful that we have two cars and gas and Internet. I'm really so very thankful for my DVR. When I really stop and think about what luxuries we have, however everyday they seem, I realize we have it really good.

I'm thankful for friends and family. I seriously have the best of both and I can't imagine I would have survived myself without them. I have such a huge security blanket with them. I think that's why I swear I'll never leave Tallahassee. Home is where the heart is and mine is certainly here.

I'm thankful for my husband. I'm thankful that he works so hard for us and that he's willing to work even harder so I can be a stay at home mom (at least for the most part) next year. I'm thankful that even though we've had rough times and some crazy fights, we're both still here. I can't say enough how thankful I am that I have someone who loves me so much and really when it gets down to it, takes me just as I am. Things have been hard lately, and I still know how much he loves me. That means a lot.

Most of all (as you can probably guess), I'm thankful for my healthy, happy baby boy. It almost brings me to tears (I swear being a mom has made me such a wuss) thinking about families out there who go through a pregnancy and lose a baby. Or who have ever lost a child. I can't imagine the pain. I can't imagine I would be able to do anything besides curl up and wither away. I am so very grateful that my baby is here with me. That I can still smell him on me from snuggling with him before bedtime. I'm thankful for slobbery baby kisses and even the shrieking noises he likes to make in the middle of restaurants that I'm sure make people go "Won't they shut that kid up?!".

It's hard to put things in perspective. Honestly, everyday should be thanksgiving when we're busy wallowing in self doubt and sorrow. Most of us have it pretty darn good, and I think we'd all do well to think about everything we have to be thankful for more than just once a year.

Crawling around the living room, he stopped to snuggle my foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment