Friday, May 20, 2011

Tired

I mean that in every sense of the word.

I'm constantly tired. all.the.time. It go to bed at 10 and wake up at 7 so you would think I'd be well rested. Between my dog chewing on herself all night and my husband schlepping into bed at 2AM I know I wake up a few times a night. If I'm totally honest with myself though, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm carrying around extra weight and my diet leaves something to be desired. That and my sedentary lifestyle.

So, I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of feeling bad about myself. I'm tired of being winded after 5 minutes of chasing my toddler around the house.

Believe it or not, I've actually taken a step to do something about it. I joined weight watchers again. I don't know why, but even seeing that typed out is embarrassing. Like I know I'm overweight, but I'm hoping you didn't notice, so admiting it out loud is ruining all hope that maybe you don't think I'm as fat as I really am, even though you're obviously not blind or you wouldn't be reading this. So, yeah.

I did WW a few years ago and lost almost 20 pounds. I stopped going to the meetings when I thought I could do it on my own no problem since I had all the basics. Wrong. I didn't have the accountability, and between having a baby and being generally lazy, I'm now almost 30 lbs heavier than I was when I first joined a few years ago (meaning I gained back that 20 plus almost 30...YIKES). My husband is tired of hearing me complain and to be honest I'm tired of hearing me too. I have my first meeting tomorrow, and assuming the rapture doesn't happen as has been predicted (seriously...google it...good stuff!) I'm hoping for a good loss to keep my morale up. WW is a sloooow process, but better than other diets I've tried because it's realistic. Really I can eat whatever I want in moderation. Plus, I've always heard the slower you lose the slower you gain.

Also, what I've been doing for the past 3 years obviously ain't werkin.

On to other non-jiggly related items!

There's this thing that happens in my house every night. Between the hours of 5-7 PM, no matter how many naps or snacks or even a desperate attempt at a Blues Clues peace offering, the Baby Witching Hour starts and pandemonium takes over.

Seriously though, my kid is so grumpy during this time it's comical. I have no idea why it is. He can even take a late nap and sleep until 6 PM, but he's going to wake up grumpy. We usually put him to bed at 7 and even if he has that late nap, he's ready for bed at 7. Until then, he mostly runs around trying to get into to this and throwing himself at us in a fit of wails and kisses when we tell him no (he wants reassurance that we still love him...who can blame the kid?!).  Do any of you go through this with your kids? Any tips of distraction?

Punkin is at that stage now where he's babbling constantly and he's actually saying something. We just don't speak his language so we have no idea. He'll repeat whatever it is over and over again trying to get his point across and all we can do is nod in agreement and laugh at his insistence. He says about 8 actual words right now, which we hear interspersed in his babbling. He can tell us what a doggy says now, which is hilarious. He'll walk right up to Luna and "ruff ruff ruff" at her. I die of cute overload at least 5 times a day (more on the weekends, of course).

Tomorrow is my baby niece's 1st birthday. I can't believe she's a year old already! In honor of Punkin's partner in crime here is an adorable (and iPhone blurry) picture of the two of them:

2 comments:

  1. Jeni,
    When Benjamin was Jax's age I went through the same thing. I was finally getting enough sleep but I was CONSTANTLY exhausted and fighting terrible afternoon headaches. Part of the issue was the baby weight I still hadn't lost but I think most of the problem was WHAT I was eating rather than how much. I cut out all caffeine and switched to water which helped a little bit. What was most helpful was going to a naturopath sort of doctor who helped me figure out that I was addicted to sugar (apparently it's not normal to eat cookies or ice cream after every meal, who knew? not me,) which my body wasn't processing well so I was constantly spiking and crashing causing a lot of the exhaustion and the headaches. I don't know if sugar is your waterloo or not, but it was mine. Once I was able to break the habit and remind myself what it feels like not to be tired and foggy-brained all the time it made all the difference and helped motivate me not to do that to myself again because I felt so miserable all the time. Took about two weeks of cutting out the sugar to start feeling better but it was a huge change. He also helped me discover that I'm gluten intolerant.

    Not sure if any of this is helpful but this too shall pass! I'm sure that transitioning to a better diet will make a world of difference. Good for you! I know you'll feel so much better. And hang in there with the witching hour stuff. It is a phase. Try going outside for a change of scene or doing bubble bath or something out of the ordinary. But if all else fails...he'll grow out of it. Promise.

    Let's get together soon! Things are crazy right now with our Spring Recital coming up the first weekend of June but then things settle down in a big way.

    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad you read my post before I could correct the spelling errors! ;)

    He LOVES going outside. Unfortunately, our backyard isn't fit for a little one and it's hard to let him run in the front yard because for some reason his first instinct is to go straight for the road! I think I might try to get in an evening walk with him. Good for both of us!

    Yeah, I'm pretty much just a food-aholic in general. I can eat enough food for 2 in one sitting so I think that's part of my problem. I cut all caffiene when I was pregnant and then nursing so that's not really a problem. Hopefully cutting back on the sugar will help me like you said! I can't wait for the day I'm not ready to fall asleep on my keyboard!

    And yes we must get together! Let me know when you're not so busy!

    ReplyDelete