Friday, March 2, 2012

Letter On Your Birthday

Dear Punkin,


Today, you are two.

It seems impossible that a whole two years ago, I was in the hospital with you. A whole two years ago, I choked up over the doctor telling me you had red hair when he pulled you out. A whole two years ago I heard your first cry, the first sound you ever made coming in to this confusing world, out of Momma’s safe womb. I looked at your Daddy then, wide-eyed in disbelief. Did we seriously just have a baby?

We did. From the moment I saw you, hair red and curly, I loved you. Really, from the moment I found out I was pregnant with you, I loved you. I was amazed from the beginning just how different this love was from any other kind I had experienced. Love of my family, my friends, my husband. Nothing was quite like the love I had for you before I even held you.

I love you with my whole heart. I love you unconditionally. I even love you (heck I even still like you!) when it’s 6:00 and I’m trying to make dinner and you’re tugging at my pants leg and whining about num num. When you pitch fits and throw things and pull my hair. I love you then, too.

I see your mind grow every day, and I love seeing you learn new things. Even something as simple as what an elephant says makes my heart expand with pride. When you learned how to jump with both feet off of the ground, I was certain you were the cleverest boy in the world. I watch you dance and I listen to you sing. I watch you roll around on the floor with Daddy and try desperately hard to make puppy understand that you just want to play, despite chasing her with the broom. And I know one day these things will be silly. I know one day you won’t want to dance and sing with Momma, or roll around on the floor with Daddy. So I hold on to these moments as much as I can. I hug you and kiss you even when you protest just because I know one day it won’t be fun to give Momma kisses. So I’m storing them for the day I get an eye-roll when I ask for a hug or kiss.

I hope I do a good job as your Momma. I hope I nurture your learning and help you to grow into a good man. I hope seeing what a good Daddy your Daddy is will help you be a good one in turn. I know you are going to be such a good big brother. You already give baby girl kisses on Momma’s belly, and when you say hi to everyone around you, you even say hi to your sister.

I hope this next year is filled with as much wonderment and learning and growing as this past year was. I’m very much looking forward to learning with you.

Love,

Momma


The loves of my life, on a fun filled birthday celebration at the zoo.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful letter to your sweet boy! I think you articulate what mothers feel and think...good mothers. The time is so fleeting! That you understand that at your young age is quite something! I don't think I understood that until Olivia.

    ReplyDelete