Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011

I can't believe another year has gone by.

2010 was a very important year for me. Yes, because my baby boy was born, but a lot of growth happened last year.

From the moment they put Punky in my arms, I knew things were going to be different. I knew that even though I was 23 and married and a grown up, there was still growing to do. I think both Austin and I have come to realize things about each other that we never gave to much thought too. We've had to really learn to compromise and most importantly, communicate. It's really very hard when two people who essentially have to move as a unit to make things work start to want two different paths in life. This is where compromise and communication come in to play.

I became passionate about something for the first time, and I resolved to follow that passion. I think Austin realized that things are a little more real now. He got serious about school and creating a future for our family that doesn't involve coming home covered in flour and smelling like pizza. I'm so incredibly proud of him for setting his mind to it and doing so well in school.

As 2010 came to an end, so did certain relationships. It's so hard for me to wrap my mind around the situation, and what  I would do if I was put in the position of essentially losing the family unit I have. I can't. But I do know that people change and time marches on. I know that although things come to an end, new beginnings happen everyday. I also know the unwavering and at times almost unbearable love I have for my baby, and I imagine that times two would be enough to keep me going. The love and support a family can provide can be healing. Uplifting. Cathartic. I just hope it's well received.

And, of course, Punkin graced us all with his presence in 2010. It's almost a year later, and he's learning new things every day. He's playing peek-a-boo. He celebrates with us when we say "yay!". He has favorite toys and he loves instruments. He dances. He yells and talks gibberish aside from the occasional " da da" and "baby". He gives lovin'. And yesterday, for the very first time, he took his first steps...and I almost lost my mind. I can't believe how very fleeting and precious this time is. And how in a few years he'll be starting school. All I can do is get in as many kisses and snuggles as I possibly can and hope I make the right choices for him. No pressure or anything.

So, 2011, you have a lot to live up to. Good luck.

Getting into trouble.

2 comments:

  1. Logan is OBSESSED with the TP in the bathroom! That and lifting the toilet seat up and down. Silly boys! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well nice to know it's not just mine! We HAVE to keep the bathroom door closed or he makes a beeline for it!

    ReplyDelete