Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cloth Diapering - So Far

So we have been cloth diapering Punkin for a couple of months now, and here's what I've learned so far:

  • My child is the most well hydrated child that ever lived, evidenced by the massive amount of pee he has stored in his toddler bladder (we've been letting him run around naked to air out his bottom and hopefully to aide in potty training. It has not).
  • Diaper Sprayer - totally overrated. Maybe it's me? Maybe toddler poops are different? But to me it was kind of a pain to try and spray all the stuck on poo off in the toilet without getting that nasty back spray. It felt like every time I sprayed a diaper, I needed to disinfect the bathroom after. Also, it didn't fit quit right on our toilet, so we were having leaks everywhere. This may be gross, but the jet setting on my water hose outside works way better.
  • Laundry is tricky business. Pre rinse on warm or cold? Wash with what kind of detergent? HOW THE HECK DO I GET THE POO SMELL OUT OF THESE DIAPERS?!
  • The sun is a magical force created to get the poo smell out of these diapers. Seriously. I had always heard it was great for the stains, which I find are much worse on the diapers with natural fibers, but I love it more for helping my dipes and inserts smell fresh again.
  • There's a difference between "soap bubbles" and "agitation bubbles". Learn the difference before you do 6 rinses trying to get the bubbles to go away (blush).
  • Spraying poo and touching pee soaked fabric is so much better than spending $15 a week (at least) on disposables. Seriously. It's already so worth it to not get down to that last diaper and think: shit. I have no gas in the car, no diapers for my kid, and no money in the bank.

Thanks to my lovely friend  Haley, I had a smashing cloth diaper shower (which I swear I'm getting thank you notes out for soon. No seriously.) and was able to get a lovely stash of diapers for Punkin to use until he's potty trained, and for baby girl to use once he's done with them. The difference in these and the ones he had been using are amazing.

Grovia® AIO Cloud
GroVia - Seriously wonderful AIO diapers. The material is divine, they look cool and they're made from natural fibers. They're super absorbent and come with an extra insert, which is great for my super soaker.

I also have some of the hybrid's, which I was so sure was going to be my favorite diapers. Now I'm not so sure. They are basically a shell with a snap in insert. You can switch inserts in the shell, essentially creating the need for less actual diapers. My problem is I'm not sure the insert is enough absorbency for my toddler. Plus, the diaper shell would get wet with pee, which automatically made me think it's done for. But now I'm reading just to let the shell air out and use another shell and switch between them. But...won't they smell like pee? Maybe I'm over thinking this!


Thirsties Duo Diaper - Love these! They have a microfiber insert that snaps together with a hemp/cotton insert which is awesome. Super absorbent. They also have those fancy leg gussets you can see in the picture, which is great for catching those poo-splosions (I'm hoping especially for that newborn poo!). I love the velcro for a squirmy toddler, but they also have snaps which is better for us because our kid loves to be naked. And pee everywhere.


BumGenius One Size - I really like these because they just seem really durable. The material is great and it fits super trim, which I love. Don't get me wrong, a fluffy butt is cute, but it's nice when Punkin can fit into his jeans without looking like he has some serious junk in the trunk. I've been using these for night time with both inserts and a prefold for extra measure, and was ecstatic about not having leaks. Unfortunately, he soaked through one just the other night. I'm thinking we need to try and limit fluid intake before bed. I swear he pees a gallon in his sleep.

So! We have a good stash (although I have to keep myself browsing for more. I mean, you can't have too many, right?!) and I'm now able to do laundry every other day, which is fabulous. Doing it every night was so daunting and I couldn't help wondering if the cost of not using disposables was being replaced in our utility bill (it wasn't).

I'm sure once baby girl gets here (16 DAYS!) I'll have more to say on cloth diapering a new born. Until then, does anyone have suggestions on slowly introducing potty training to a 2 year old? He's definitely interested and he knows you're supposed to go pee pee and poopee on the potty, but I'm not sure if I should push it any further or let him figure it out. Suggestions?



3 comments:

  1. You can never have too many cloth diapers!! lol. And as for the poo back splash...i think my husband has more of an issue with that than i do. i make sure to hold the diaper kind of down in the toilet than like above, not sure how the hubby does it, but it doesn't bother me as much. as for pre-rinsing, i have always done it on cold, but i recently read that you should do it on warm bc the poo/pee comes out better bc it was warm when it went into the diaper, so the warm water rinses it out better, so i've since started doing warm pre-rinses. and the sun is amazing! and maybe for an extra boost in absorbency for Jax...invest in some hemp inserts? i love those, or the organic flip inserts..once they are fully prepped they hold a TON of piss. and you can use them in the grovia hybrid shells (or any shell) or in the pocket of the Bumgenius. And yes, the shells might smell like pee, but you can still reuse them for the day and rotate 2-3 shells a day or until it gets pooped on. or if it's nice outside, you can put the damp shell out in the sun to help take out the smell for the next use if it bothers you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and for potty training, i think it really just "clicks" one day. Brenton was 3 when he started consistently peeing in the potty, and started pooping in the potty 2 months before he turned 5...i think he had a toilet phobia or something lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure the backsplash wouldn't bother me but I feel like I never hit it at a good angle! We may try it again when we have two sets of dipes we're spraying, but for now I'm okay going outside and hosing them off lol.

      I definitely want to invest in some hemp inserts for night time. Do you have a favorite brand you reccomend? I tried to get some through ecological babies but they don't carry them any more. :(

      I've heard boys are hard! And I've heard getting them to poop in the potty is hard as well. I'm not going to attempt to put any kind of system in place for him for another few months. I want him to be able to adjust to having a new baby in the house. I will be STOKED if he's trained by 3!

      Delete