Friday, September 9, 2011

Discipline

This subject is something I've been lamenting for months now. Let me say, I think I've been blessed with a very good baby. He's generally pretty pleasant and he's usually happy running around the house or just playing blocks in his room. But there are those moments when he's sleepy/hungry/generally cranky and he decides to show his little toddler butt. Especially right now, he's really asserting his independence and pushing boundaries.

For example; I tell him not to touch the hot water heater. He looks me straight in the eye while reaching his hand out to touch the hot water heater. I'm torn between laughing and wanting to snatch him up and ask him WTF he's thinking. Of course, neither of those things would help the situation.

I've tried getting down to his level, looking him in the eye, and explaining to him why we don't touch that/throw food/hit puppy but he just looks at me like "Um, why are you crazy?". I think getting down to his level and telling him no is a good thing, but I don't think trying to rationalize with an 18 month old is going to do anyone any good.

So, I think I'm going to try time outs. I've tried it before and he actually laughed. The first time I tried it he cried and cried and I thought maybe it would work. The second time I tried it he thought it was a game. You know, I put him in the chair, he gets out of the chair, I put him back in the chair. Rinse, lather, repeat. So I got a special chair from my mom's house that is going to be his time out chair. I'm going to try sticking him in the chair facing the wall for a minute or so when he acts up and see how it goes. Maybe it'll be a disaster. Who knows.

I also hate the stranger anxiety thing. If he's in a really good mood he'll flirt with strangers all day long. But if he's the tiniest bit sleepy, he'll swipe at a stranger if they get to close. Really, REALLY not okay. And kind of embarrassing to be quite honest. I know people who have kids would understand, but I really don't want people thinking I let my kid go around hitting people just for the heck of it. Because I don't.

The weird thing is, we don't even hit him. Never have I even popped his hand. Yet he's still developed a hitting habit when he gets mad or frustrated. How the heck does that even happen? Luckily, I think with enough times of getting on to him, he's mostly stopped taking swipes at Austin and I. He'll still hit Luna every once in while (and by hit I really mean take a general swipe in her direction. It's never hard enough for her to even notice...but still very NOT okay) but he mostly hits inanimate objects. The wall, the couch, the TV. I'm okay with this. Honestly, I think when he's older and he's really upset or frustrated, it's okay to take it out on a pillow or stuffed animal. As long as he knows hitting people or animals is not tolerated.

Another thing we've really been pushing with him is positive reinforcement. I celebrate the heck out of everything he does well. We've even got him cleaning up his room before bedtime now because every.single.time. he puts a block in his toy basket or puts one of his stuffed animals on the shelf we shout "yay!" and clap and tell him what a big boy he is. He loves it. He claps and squeals and is so proud of himself. So if he's really good in the doctors office (that lasted about 2 minutes) or if he does something I ask right away (like hands me something or puts something away) or is generally being a sweet boy I tell him and praise him.

I feel like discipline is our next big parenting hurdle so I'm hoping we get the hang of it pretty quick!

Helping Momma clean up his room like a big boy.

2 comments:

  1. girl...isla loves to hit...she thinks it is hilarious. no matter what i do, she still does it. and the girl is one strong baby, lol. i've been working on it too with her, and i don't think she's old enough for time out yet. and she likes to swat if she's pissed. actually i think all my kids went through a swatting phase, esp. when they were frustrated. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha well I'm glad I'm not alone! I kept thinking Jax was too young for time out too, but I think he's understanding things a little better now. Hopefully it works because I'm kind of clueless!

    ReplyDelete