Thursday, September 29, 2011

Time Out

So a long time ago, I brought a chair from my mom's house home with me to be used as a time out chair. It was a couple of weeks, but I finally put it to good use.

The first time Punkin was throwing magnets...again. I swear it's like his favorite game. So I told him not to throw the magnet so he looked at me and threw it on the floor. I handed it to him and asked him to put it back on the fridge and he threw it again. Time out! So I sat him in the chair. He cried. And cried. He got up twice and each time I just told him in my deadly serious Momma voice that he needs to sit and not move. So he did! I let him sit there for a minute and a half. I went to get him and told him why he was in time out and gave him some snuggles. It went really well!

The second time was for hitting. I've been giving him one warning for his behavior and then time out so when I told him we don't hit and he hit again, straight to the chair. He only got up once this time. He still cried but I'm okay with that. It's not supposed to be nice or fun. After he gave me hugs and I put on some Elmo and all was right with the world.

He's been fighting a nasty cold for the past couple of weeks so I think some of his naughtiness is due to him feeling crummy. His cough is nasty right now. He went to the doctor last week and they said his chest sounded clear but I may take him back tomorrow. That cough is just not letting up and I'm worried he'll need a nebulizer or something to help.

I've been giving him teaspoon fulls of honey to try and help but I'm not sure how much it's really helping. He REALLY likes the honey so that's something. I tried to give it to him in a drink but he won't drink anything warm. I tried warm juice and warm milk (which I totally thought he'd go for...he was a boobie baby for a whole year!) but he won't touch the stuff.

Anyone else have any natural remedies that may help?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the time out chair is working so well! We usually send Benjamin to his room for time out, but the chair sounds like a better idea.

    When B is sick we set up a vaporizer in his room at night and it seems to help with the congestion and breathing. Hope your sweet boy feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete