Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the OMG FINAL MOVIE!

At midnight last night came the end of an era. The end of a very significant part of my childhood.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was everything I could possibly hope for. Sure there were changes, but once I let myself let go of the book that was still freshly in my mind, it was amazing. I figured I would blubber through the entire movie, knowing that this was it. That there were not only no longer book releases, but no more movie releases. I did not blubber through the whole movie. But I did blubber through the entire last half. And so did the rest of the theater. Audibly.

I cheered for Neville. I outraged at Griphook. I cried, and cried some more for Snape and the other fallen. I turned my head away when those characters I loved so much showed up dead on screen. I let out a giant WOOT for Molly Weasley and her motherly instincts (oh yes, the line is there...and it's amazing).

I left the theater puffy eyed from tired and crying. I'm not one to cry at movies. Honestly. I can watch The Notebook (although I'd rather not) or Marley and Me 100x and not shed a tear. But I lost it over this one.

Here's the thing: I started reading  these books when I was 13. That's more than 10 years ago. That's a very good chunk of my adolescence. I was immersed in the magic. I really grew to love these characters like friends, and now that it's over I feel like a best friend has moved on. Yes, I still have the book and movies there and let us not forget the awesome theme park in Orlando. But the anticipation is gone. The excitement of wondering what's coming is gone. It really is like saying good-bye.

So with a heavy heart I said good bye and walked out of the theater with my 10+ year bestie, arms around each other and marveled at where we are in life. 25 years old. 40 looks a lot closer from here. I have a kid so that automatically makes me around 35. I was very glad I was able to go with her. We've been loving Harry Potter together for so long, it was almost nostalgic waiting in line with her.

Thanks Harry, for keeping us all entertained for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment