Monday, July 18, 2011

Winnie the Pooh

Ever since I've seen the previews for the new Winnie the Pooh movie, Austin and I have been debating on whether or not we should take Punkin to see it. My first reaction was "Uh, no thank you. I'm not crazy." But the closer it got to release the more I really wanted to take him. He loves Pooh bear so much and he loves the original movie from the 70's. So I thought maybe if I packed enough snacks it would be doable.

So we strategically scheduled his nap hoping he'd wake up just in time for the movie. We ended up having to get him up, but he seemed in a good mood so we were still hopeful. I packed him a lunch of PB&J, Goldfish crackers, a juice/water combo and a few chocolate chip cookies in case things got really desperate. We set off with him in his Pooh bear hat and his favorite stuffed Pooh bear (seriously, I feel like a schmuck for being such a parent consumer).

We planned to get there a few minutes late so we would miss the previews, which worked out really well. The only downside was that everyone else in Tallahassee decided to take their kid to the 11:00 showing so it was packed. We ended up in the second row, but luckily Punkin didn't mind. As soon as we walked in he was pointing to the screen saying "Pooh!". Now, Pooh wasn't on the screen at this point, but I guess because we kept telling him "Come on! We're going to see Pooh bear!" he got a little excited. He sat in Austins lap and watched the movie like a pro. He got really excited when Pooh did finally come on screen, pointing and babbling. I was worried about him making too much noise, but every other kid in the theater was making too much noise so I doubt anyone even heard him.

I handed him part of his PB&J and he laid back against Austin and just watched the movie like it was totally nothing new. He danced when the songs played. His favorite song from the original movie is the Heffalumps and Woozles song, and there was a song in this one that was pretty reminiscent of that. He got down dancing on Austin's lap to that one. All in all in was a pretty great first movie experience. And we only had to give him one chocolate chip cookie towards the end when he was getting a little antsy.

It was such a cute movie, too. They really kept it similar to the original by having the live action opening sequence and by having the movie take place in a book. I'd have to watch it again to tell you if there were any gems that would turn into classics like "Little Black Rain Cloud" or "A Very Blustery Day", but then I guess these things become classics over time. Zooey Deschanel did the music for this movie which I loved. Even the classic Winnie the Pooh song was sung beautifully by her in the beginning.

It was a pretty great movie weekend for the Mann family!

No comments:

Post a Comment