Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Working Mom Guilt

I haz it.

It is so, so hard for me to get up and go to work in the mornings. Like you wouldn't believe. Not because I hate my job. I actually have a really great job. I work for awesome people who have been so understanding since I've had Punkin. I make pretty good money and the work is pretty easy (excluding tax season. It's not hard then, there's just A LOT). But I hate being here. So very much. All I want is to be home with my baby, snuggling under a blanket. Reading "Daddy and Me" for the 50th time in one day. Watching him carry his Pooh Bear around by the neck.

I feel guilty that I don't spend much time with him during the week. My Mom sees him more than I do some weeks, and that's just not cool. Weekends are all I have. I have to get in all the snuggles and kisses I can before the week starts back up and I have to spend it missing him all over again. I hate when my weekends get interrupted for this reason.

I am so jealous of those Moms who love going to work every day. Some of us function better that way, I think. I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. Just...if I had a choice (which I clearly do not at this point), I'd rather be at home cleaning and chasing babies. I know that probably makes me sounds like a horrible woman, but eh. I don't really care.

Our 4th of July weekend was spent babysitting my brother while my parents were out of town and being miserable from teething. Sunday morning he was not doing well. Crying and fussing and he couldn't even eat. It's never been so bad he couldn't eat. He'd put some food in his mouth, scream and spit it right back out. He pretty much just wanted to be held all day. A dose of Motrin and a three hour nap later and he felt much better.

Austin has been out of town this weekend so we were on our own. He's a certified pyrotechnician so he was out blowing stuff up for the Holiday while we were stuck at home watching Winnie the Pooh and dancing to Heffalumps and Woozles. I was at my parents house all day on the 4th and then went to the in-laws house whenever my parents got home from their trip. Unfortunately, Jax was already tired and cranky and did not want me to leave his sight or hug anyone. He was passed out before we got home.

His new favorite word is "Momma". He says it often, just to make sure I'm paying attention. I tried ignoring it once, just to see if he was really calling me or if he just enjoys saying the word. He got louder and louder and finally screamed it at me until I finally answered. He followed it with his own special language of gibberish that I have yet to figure out. The only word that trumps this is Paw Paw. Paw Paw is my Dad and anytime we're near the vicinity of my parents house he says it over and over again. Once we get inside, if my Dad isn't there then he abandons his mission to say it as many times as possible. But if Paw Paw is home...wow. Over and over and over again until honestly its hilarious. My Dad may act exasperated, but he secretly loves it.

He's been repeating pretty well lately. Words he says on his own without needing a prompt are Momma, Daddy, Paw Paw, Shoe, Uh-Oh, No, Luna, Pooh Bear, Tigger, Num Num (his word for food courtesy of Austin), Nonnie (my mom, although he doesn't say this so much any more now that he's discovered Paw Paw), diaper, see (he loves this one, he uses it when he wants to show us something or when he wants us to show him something) and a random assortment of babbling gibberish. We're working on please and thank you. He'll say thank you occasionally but he's not grasping the concept yet. We're also working on love you, which he will repeat (sounds like he's saying ah-oo) but very randomly. He'll also repeat Eeyore, which I love hearing him say.

He's growing up so fast. I hate that I have to miss it during the week! Here are some blurry iPhone pictures!


This is Punkin last 4th of July and this year. Its insane how huge he's gotten. Truly not a baby anymore.



Dancing his booty off for the USA.

I was sending Austin pictures of Jax sleeping because he gets in the funniest positions. Exhibit A.



1 comment:

  1. When Ash & Austin were little, it didn't bother me so much...to work. But with Olivia--definitely I feel your pain. Was very lucky that she was able to go to Trojan Tots while I was at Lincoln. But even now, she's in school and I find myself feeling resentment at my coworkers, thinking that I am forced to spend more time with these people than the family I love.

    ReplyDelete